HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics

Share | 

Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
the-nintendo-master

PostSubject: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:34 pm

I have been a fan of tennis for ten years, and I have been seeing a lot of changes in the sport.

When Federer dominated all those years, the courts were actually heterogenized, meaning each court was different. Clay courts were slow, grass courts were fast. I believe around 2008 is when it was decided to homogenize all the courts. All of sudden, the hard courts and grass courts became slower. The serve and volley technique began fading away, and net play was almost discouraged to an extent.
Cue Nadal (and Djokovic 2010 - present). His true dominance on the hard courts and grass courts began after this (he was already the best on clay). Why? Slow courts catered to his game very, very well. The courts gave him a massive advantage, helping his huge topspin and grinding, sliding type of play.

How does this translate to MSC? Timed matches were just like the individual courts before 2008. Timed matches gave certain players certain advantages. Some people were good in it, and some were not. That was the beauty of tennis - where anyone with a specific playstyle was enhanced by the type of court. This is what made Federer the GOAT as his game translated well on ALL courts.
In Timed matches especially, MSC rewarded players who were down by increasing the probability of a shot going in. Timed matches favored people who could take pressure well. Timed matches helped shooters in a sense, allowing them to overcome massive deficits by their skill with the game nudging them towards a comeback. Timed matches forced Tricksters to become 'actionary', meaning they would have to create goals with pure strategy. Shooters could flow with the game, shooting and playing more openly. Sudden Death was something that everyone wanted. The music changed, time was thrown out the window, and anything could happen.

Enter Goaled matches. It seems like an equalizer on the outside, but this is not the case. Goaled matches are like tennis post-2007.  Tricksters benefited greatly, as they could sit back and wait for a slide steal or hit to gain possession. They swayed towards being 'reactionary', where they could be very opportunistic at any time. With no pressure of time, they could simply make 7 Boo dekes, 7 instachips, a lucky shot here or there, teles and the game is over suddenly. Mistakes in a Goaled match against a Trickster were extremely punishable. Shooters could also end the match quickly if their shot ratio is 40% or higher. The game is considerably slower.

The metagame is the same between the two, but the strategies are different. Timed matches allows a more open, free, fluid approach to both styles. Goaled matches seem to favor Tricksters more. Why not try Timed matches? I promise the intensity and flow of the game will change dramatically.

Time is truly the equalizer.

Soccer is a Timed match in real life.
Penalty kicks (Goaled Matches) end the game, but it is not as satisfying as a win in regulation, nor is it the same game.

Last edited by the-nintendo-master on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atangerine
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I was actually debating about this today. I really like the idea of timed matches. Sure, 6-6 games are fun and intense, but there's something about the clock winding down in a close game that really brings the pressure. And not listening to the badass sudden death music seems like a shame.

The only problem I could forsee with this is the problem of camping. This alone is the reason why timed matches don't really occur in tournament play. Its too difficult to determine what exactly is camping.

I was thinking that spending 10 seconds or more on your side of the field should be counted as camping, disqualifying you from the game. Also, times matches should be at least 3-4 minutes long (I think 4 is better) to allow for fair and not tedious gamplay.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Miles
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Tnm I have the biggest hard on for your posts. I'll reply when I'm not on my tiny cell phone keyboard <3 btw you better get active again

btw tangy or tnm can either of you post this topic to the sky fb group? I think this is a very serious and important discussion worth having with experienced players
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mschargedsky.forumotion.com
the-nintendo-master

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:48 pm

atangerine wrote:
I was actually debating about this today. I really like the idea of timed matches. Sure, 6-6 games are fun and intense, but there's something about the clock winding down in a close that really brings the pressure. And not listening to the badass sudden death music seems like a shame.

The only problem I could forsee with this is the problem of camping. This alone is the reason why timed matches don't really occur in tournament play. Its too difficult to determine what exactly is camping.

I was thinking that spending 10 seconds or more on your side of the field should be counted as camping, disqualifying you from the game.

Thoughts?
The only problem is I see where it's 8-7, with 2 seconds left, and the person with 8 goals has possession at the startoff. This is what happened to me in Bug Game 7. I fortunately stole the ball after he tried to stall out the game. I feel like running backwards should be considered cheating. Doing something with the possession, like passing or insta chipping etc should be good. Simply running backwards should be frowned upon, but I don't know who would do that here. Everyone knows each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atangerine
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Well some people could feel that the other person is camping when the other person does not. This can cause serious arguments, which is something every member wants to avoid. This is why I feel we should have a proper definition of camping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-nintendo-master

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 pm

atangerine wrote:
Well some people could feel that the other person is camping when the other person does not. This can cause serious arguments, which is something every member wants to avoid. This is why I feel we should have a proper definition of camping.
Yes but people recorded their matches all the time in 2007. This was when digital cameras were prevalent. Today, recorders like Dazzles and the ubiquity of smartphones means anyone can video tape anything at any time. Simply recording a match would solve the debate rather quickly, further discouraging camping/stalling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Necro

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Jay actually tried to implement this in the making of his league he wanted to try and a tourney he had come up with but no one wanted it. I feel timed matches are the way to go because anything can happen honestly, just take a game on ranked against someone who doesn't BS you. I can't remember how many times I was out of my seat completely hyped because I didn't know if I'd be able to win a match with that legendary Sudden Death music, and yes while I would throw my remote those times I lost, I can more remember those times I won and let out a huge "HELL YEAH" that would pump me up. Best of series are good but it just basically suits the tricksters better and when I joined bay/sky at around 09 I had to change my playstyle from Shooter to trickster because that's the only way I could ever get a win, that's mostly why I ended up quitting MSC in the first place, the game just wasn't fun for me anymore, that's also why anytime Pricy or TNM would get on I would be happy because I knew it would be a shootout match and not a generic trick match. Best times easily were those shooting matches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the-nintendo-master

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Imagine a Trickster who can constantly put on pressure and goals on a shooter in THREE minutes? Imagine a shooter getting a good, respectable ratio, like 33%, and have excellent defense?

Now imagine those players against each other.

In comparison, 7 goals feels cheap and puts an unnecessary cap limit. It stifles the creativity of both sides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Treesus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm definitely biased by the era I joined in, and my own personal philosophy behind the way to play competitive party games, but I still really don't see the superiority in timed matches. Also I'm sorry but I honestly cannot comprehend why a goal cap benefits tricksters while hindering shooters. I'm well aware that timed matches can get very fun and intense as the timer runs down on a close score, but at high levels of play that intensity should be consistently present throughout the entire match to achieve the desired result. I think the majority of this community's frustration with msc comes from the startlingly large amount of luck incorporated into the game at all levels, and the different perceptions players have of the fairness of a wide selection of strategies, tactics, and techniques that have vastly varying eases of use.
In timed matches these two issues are made much more visible, as a single goal typically means a good deal more (therefore fluke scores or ugly random shots can more prevalently affect the outcome), and people can abuse the clock causing great controversy afterwards.
I would probably be comfortable playing timed if everyone followed my same sense of dignity for play, but that obviously isn't the case. Everyone here has a huge ego and a strong desire to win, and will almost undoubtably choose an easy victory over an insignificant act of respect to their opponent in the heat of a match. Likewise everyone's "sense of dignity" or view of fair play vastly differs, and one might not even realize when they begin to act off the standards of another's ideals. In my opinion the entire mode (even if just slightly) brings more arguments, salt, luck, and controversy to add onto the vast amount the game already struggles with. Shit's fun but it just feels like more of a gimmick to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paolito

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Treesus when are you gonna be back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:23 pm

i think its interesting how time manages to force players out of bs strategies like using items to manufacture goals. This really forces players to think on their feet and actually execute in tight situations to score.

it also punishes defensive players that would rather sit back and wait for someone to run into them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis   

Back to top Go down

Timed Matches , Goaled Matches, and Tennis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1