Strikers Cup League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» MSC Discord
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 1:39 am by JaySkyBlue

» for those lost in the past
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 11:10 pm by Shad0winvadr

» THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING DEAD, IT MAKES BRAWL LOOK NOT DEAD
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 7:46 am by Hacked by MelBester9

» Proof lombre is homosexual/low IQ/cant tell gender/disliked/*Think of one yourself*
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 7:31 am by Hacked by MelBester9

» Its time to say! Good bye! It was fun until it lasted! GGS
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 3:02 am by Shad0winvadr

» New Wiimmfi League
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 pm by Red9378

» Boohead's farewell
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyMon May 19, 2014 11:19 pm by boohead86

» Colygrim's Farewell
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptySat May 17, 2014 2:00 am by Shad0winvadr

» MSC Hacks (a title ranging between 10 and 255 characters)
Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 13, 2014 11:01 pm by RickyRam

Religion/Christianity Debate

Go down 
+2
Skipz
Miles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Miles
Admin
Miles

Religion/Christianity Debate Empty
PostSubject: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Ok, the religion debate. I thought I'd start it since topics like these really spark good conversation.
When posting on this thread, please make your post a response to someone else's post or on the same topic,
otherwise everyone starts posting random thoughts that don't really contribute to the main debate.
So here we go. I'll start with my thoughts. Feel free to respond.

In my opinion, a belief based PURELY on faith is not only unwise, but also foolish.

A belief in the supernatural or any deity of any kind requires that you believe without any physical
evidence.

This is the definition of faith (taken from an online dictionary):
"belief that is not based on proof"

Now I am inclined to believe that the majority of people are rational and logical when it comes to daily interactions and problems. If I were to claim that I have an imaginary friend that talks to me and tells me how the universe started, but nobody else can see him or interact with him,
you would be wise to disregard my ridiculous claim. Why?

Because until I provide you with PHYSICAL evidence, then you can neither verify nor deny the existence of said friend.

Here is my problem with Christianity and religion in general: They take the stance of "belief until proven "wrong". In other words, their default position on the existence of God is to believe in something immaterial and imaginary until it is 100% proven wrong.

This should NEVER be the DEFAULT position when it comes to any debate. And most people will not take this stance on any other debate except when it comes to God for some reason.

Would it make any sense for a person learning of my imaginary friend to say, "OK Miles. I take it on faith that you have an imaginary friend that talks to you and knows everything. Until your imaginary friend is 100% proven wrong, he must THEREFORE exist"?

NO. but this is what religion teaches you to do. It teaches you to accept without thinking critically.It teaches you to accept and not question, which is extremely dangerous.

Normally I do NOT care what people think or believe. It is their decision to live their lives the way they want to. But at some point, I do believe that faith can be destructive in SOME cases.
Ex: radical muslims, 9/11, etc.

Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

I'm not saying every religious person will be radical or a murdering fanatic at all, but religious world views will change the way you see life. It will change the way you treat people. It changes your perception of "good and bad" people and who you should respect and who you should not.
In this sense it become dangerous.
Back to top Go down
https://mschargedsky.forumotion.com
Skipz

Skipz

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm

I think I'm gonna squirt, and then sit in the warm liquid.

"In my opinion, a belief based PURELY on faith is not only unwise, but also foolish."

My grandma thinks if she prays during bingo her desired ball will be picked. She barely ever wins, yet when she does, her prayer "worked" and if we all pray to God he can give us good fortune too. Ahawhaw... Cuz I mean, there are 43+ other old woman praying to God for him to pick their ball as well. It's not luck, God must have chosen one of them. Yuh (:

Anyways, I agree with like all of this :S
Back to top Go down
MSC

MSC

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm

affraid .

Last edited by Y on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Skittz

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Im Atheist... nuff said
Back to top Go down
the-nintendo-master

the-nintendo-master

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyMon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Physicality doesn't necessarily mean anything.

But ultimately it is up to the believer to prove his point to the skeptic
Back to top Go down
Julien MSC

Julien MSC

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:24 pm

''God is dead'' --- Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche 1885

Wiki says about the book:

The book in several passages expresses loathing for sentiments of human pity, compassion, indulgence and mercy towards a victim, which are regarded as the greatest sin and most insidious danger. Part of Nietzsche's reactionary thought is also that the creature he most sincerely loathes is the spirit of revolution, and its hatred for the anarchist and rebel.

Many criticisms of Christianity can be found in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, in particular Christian values of good and evil and its belief in an afterlife. Nietzsche sees the complacency of Christian values as fetters to the achievement of overman as well as on the human spirit.

----

You can check up quotes from it, it is still very actual.

I own the french version and it has the ability to mess up with my mind.

Very difficult to stay confident about life when reading it, but also very difficult to bring up any argumentation against Nietzsche's statements, because his rethoric is flawless. Book is a 10 on 10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion/Christianity Debate   Religion/Christianity Debate Empty

Back to top Go down

Religion/Christianity Debate
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Strikers Cup League :: General MSC Discussion :: Off topic-
Jump to: